Saturday, July 16, 2011

C4T #4

In my last Comments for Teachers I was assigned to the Learning is Messy bog by Brian Crosby. In my first post I commented on for Mr. Crosby it was about a science project that his fifth grade class participated in. They sent of a bag of cheetos and three balloons up with a high altitude balloon. Throughout the flight they had a camera mounted with the payload and it captured images from different altitudes. I commented on this post and said that this was an awesome experience for his class. Also that it would be a great project for any grade level to take part in. I thanked him for sharing these photos and the progress with us.
The second post I commented on was a quote that Mr. Crosby posted on his blog.
“What I wish people would realize is that “good” schools with high test scores don’t think of their instruction as some kind of reward for the test scores. They don’t focus on basic skills and then suddenly reach a point where they…develop deeper knowledge, enrich learning, engage students’ interests, etc. It’s not basics and then enrichment. The basics can be addressed more covertly, more authentically, and more effectively, when those skills are developed in a meaningful and motivational context. That type of environment shouldn’t be the exception, the unearned privilege of the children of privileged parents, and those lucky enough to attend schools that test well. That type of education is the birthright of every child.” - David B. Cohen
 What I got from this quote is that every child deserves the same education no matter where they live or what their parents income I commented on this post and told him that I loved this quote and will have it posted somewhere in my classroom one day after I graduated and had my own classroom. This quote does show what every teacher should strive for and that the perfect learning experience is when the students don't realize that they are learning and are having fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment