Sunday, June 5, 2011

Blog Post 2

 1.)  The video, Did you know? 3.0, was pretty amazing.  I loved the beat that was going and all the information was very interesting. It give different information about technological advancements throughout the world over an extended period of time. All the facts were random but somehow all went together.  It also included a few facts about population all over the world and how the advancement of certain things were tripling over the period of a year.
    I loved the fact that the top jobs of 2010 did not even exist in 2004 and that we as educators are preparing students for jobs that do not yet exist.  This is a wake up call for the advancement that we are in store for.  A few of the technological things that we learn today will also be changed as we graduate just like those who tech majors.  It is also amazing that if Myspace could use its users as a population it would be the 5th largest country in the world.  These facts were are crazy and had I not seen numbers it wouldn't have seemed as real.


2.)  Mr. Winkle Wakes was about a man who feel asleep and woke 100 years later to a completely different world.  He was lost and didn't know how to take in all the changes and seemed a bit overwhelmed.  His favorite part of the change was school because all he had to do was sit and listen versus working with technology he knew nothing about.  He couldn't believe all the changes that had been made while he was sleeping.
     If I were in Mr. Winkles position I would completely freak out.  Technology is changing everyday and you have to stay up to date so that you aren't left behind.  I don't know everything there is to know about technology but I do try to learn as much as possible so that I am not lost when something newer and better comes about.  It is amazing on how much has changed from the early 1900's and will change even more in the next 89 years.  If people do not try to learn now they will be lost in the next ten years.  My parents are not into technology but I try to keep them updated as much as possible so that they have a general idea.

3.)  I seen Sir Ken Robinson's video in Dr. Baggets class and I really enjoyed watching it again.  He is a very bright man and I like his output on life and the creativity of children.  We as educators have to watch what we do and encourage children no matter what their interests are.  We should encourage them and not discourage them.  Everyone has their opinions on being creative and that is what makes us an "individual".
   My goal as an educator is to encourage creativity.  It can come in different forms such as art, theater, dance and music and I would like to cover them all in the classroom in some way.  The children we teach are our feature so why not have them do something they are interested versus something they don't like.  We shouldn't tell them they have to do something one certain way.  Instead we should let them show us how they like to do something and determine if in fact it is right or wrong based on what they are doing and not "our" way of doing it.  A quote that I will put out in my classroom from this video will be "If you aren't prepared to be wrong, you will never come up with anything original."  This is a quote that is yet true and amazing!

4.)  In Cecilia Gault's interview with Sir Ken Robinson she asked him about the three myths of creativity. Most societies today present their young ones with the theories that the only important subjects in school are the core subjects. I do not find this to be true. Most people learn more when they are doing things that they like and are not restricted to doing things by the book and are given some leeway.
     As for the technological advances, I believe we should keep our young ones up to date with the times. Because as teachers, we are preparing them to be successful in their future endeavors and if we do not start them at an early age then they might miss out on something that could help them later on. I for one know that if I was the reason that one child was not successful in their future then I would feel that I did not do my job.

5.) Vicki Davis's video was amazing! It is so awesome that there are teachers out there that are helping students learn how to use technology. Most of these skills would have never been learned if it was not for the class she was teaching. Also, I thought it was great when she said that you do not have to know everything about a topic before you try to teach it. If she did not know it she learned along with her students or her students taught her.
    The blog that was set-up to link children from around the world was also a great idea. It opens the eyes of young people to different cultures around the world and how they think. It is amazing how teens across the world, no matter what the culture, have the same perspective or opinion on certain topics. I think this is something that I would definitely like to incorporate into my classroom.

4 comments:

  1. You really seem to have gotten the mode of posting down: summarize and react. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anthony! I have been wondering if I am at least on track of what I am supposed to be doing! Thank you for the positive feedback! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Mr. Winkles Wakes video really shows how a lot of people feel about technology. I'm with you Christy. I try to at least stay some what caught up with all of the advancements being made everyday in technology. I also agree with encouraging creativity in the classroom. I think that students really enjoy putting a little bit of themselves into their class work. This, I believe, helps keep the students interest on the topic as well. You also make a very good point about keeping students up to date on technology since we, as teachers, are preparing them for the future. We need to know as much as we can about technology so that we can give them all of the tools to be successful contributors to our society.
    I really enjoyed reading your blog. You make a lot of very interesting points on all of the different videos and articles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It won't be long before you encounter even "crazier" numbers!

    Some EDM310 students do "freak out" at the things they learn here. Maybe not this summer, but in regular semester there are always two or three.

    Grammar correction: "3) I seen Sir Ken..." should be I saw..... In addition you need an ' after Bagget so that it is possessive. the ' is missing. I also think you meant outlook on life, not output.

    Creativity is not just limited to the "arts." What about the creative inventions of companies like Apple. Engineers these days have to be creative. And I would argue that educators do too!

    You also will be blogging "around the world"!

    ReplyDelete