Sunday, June 19, 2011

Blog Post 6

The Networked Student!
In the networked student it showed us things similar to what we are doing in this class. We are networking with other teachers and students to get ideas, opinions and person insight on what is in store for us in the future. Learning through the network is something new for me but it has been very interesting and helpful. We need to be aware of what is out there for, and what will benefit us in the long run.
When the question "Why does the networked student even need a teacher?" was asked, I though to myself, to be a leader. In everything we do there will be someone who is there to lead and critique what we do. In this video she wanted the students to search and see all the things available to her students. The teacher is there when a student needs help, advice or simply doesn't understand. Some may think a teacher in this position isn't needed because you do not need them but in reality they are helping someone else and that is what they are there for.
I think being a teacher to a networked student would be a challenge especially for someone like myself. I am never really up to date on everything. As a child I was never taught about technology outside school. My parents didn't know anything about it either therefore they were unable to assist. Now that I have been in this class I have been trying harder to keep up with technology and the different things that are available. Maybe after this course I will be more acceptable to the idea of being a networked student's teacher.

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment (or PLN)
This 7th grade student's skill to be organized is amazing. She knows exactly where things are and when things are to be turned in. She is very up to date with the technology and knows what is available to her and what to use. Once I get my new computer I hope to be able to keep all my documents organized like she had hers.

Critiques of Smartboards
I can see where Michael Staton, Bill Ferriter, and Keving McLaughlin are coming from because smartboards are expensive. Unless a teacher knows what they are doing they are useless but isn't why they are shown how to use them? In my own personal opinion I think smartboards are awesome. Teacher should incorporate lessons using the smartboard on a daily basis. It is a way for students to be a little more knowledgeable with technology and makes learning more fun. We can all go home and read what the book says but putting things on the smartboard makes it more hands on for our students. There are so many different things that can be done from making a simple lesson plan with pictures to making review games for our children to help them study for the upcoming test. I believe that all teachers should be taught everything there is to know about the smartboard so they can use them and know what they are doing. Yes this will take time and money but it will benefit both the teacher and the students.

3 comments:

  1. A leader is exactly what a teacher should be. But, at the same time a friend and one who helps others. I was never worried about technology as a child because I was more into going outside and playing with neighborhood friends. Video and computer games have taken over children's lives these days. You do not see many kids outside playing anymore like the days when we were younger. I also hope that after this class I will know more about technology and networking and be able to associate into my classroom work.
    The seventh graders PLE blew my mind! She made me jealous that when I was that young there was no such thing, or not that we knew about, to be as organized as that all by the computer!
    For the Smart Board case, I have to say that yes they are expensive, but once everyone learns the hang of them then maybe they will see a change in students grades and participation in class. Maybe not. Who knows. Every teacher should give it a chance, and they might come to know that they want nothing more than to have everything on a computer and not having to write on the white boards or whatever method of displaying their work they use. Smart Boards, may be the next best thing, besides when chalk boards, white boards, and over head projectors came out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Christy,

    Good post. I think that smartboards are good and expensive! I really think that younger students love the smartboard, but if it isn't used properly, then it really isn't worth anything. I think that this will appeal to younger students than older, so I think that is something to consider.

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Maybe after this course I will be more acceptable to the idea of being a networked student's teacher." That is one of our objectives!

    The PLN is not just to be organized. It is to establish a network of people and other things that can assist you in your undertakings. The great thing about networks today is that they are global in nature!

    ReplyDelete